12 Best Apps for Women
Being a modern woman is hard work. Between work, academic, family, and social obligations, it seems there has never been a busier time to be a woman. And think of everything else you have to juggle; whether it’s your birth control schedule, your fitness routine, or your small business it all just adds to the stress! But don’t worry; this modern age has also given us some great technology to make our lives a bit easier. Take apps, for example. You can download them to your smartphone, iPod, or tablet, take them with you, and they’ll give you a hand while you’re on the go. But with so many apps available already, how do you know which ones are worth the storage space required to download them?
With that question in mind, here are twelve of the best apps available for women right now.
1. myPill® (iOS, Android)- If you use any form of birth control that requires you to keep a schedule (pill, patch, ring), this is the app for you. It gives reminders when you should take your pill or change other types of contraception, tracks symptoms, reminds you when you should schedule an appointment with your doctor, and predicts when your period should be due.
2. Companion (iOS, Android) – Designed by students at the University of Michigan, this app can help ease worries about walking home alone. Just enter your destination, choose contacts to be your ‘companions’, who can watch your progress via a live map. If anything amiss happens, the app asks if you’re OK, alerting your companions if you don’t respond in 15 seconds. It can also alert you to unsafe conditions and gives an option to contact police.
3. SitorSquat (iOS, Android) – Created by Charmin, this app allows you to find nearby restrooms when you’re in unfamiliar areas. It also shows user generated reviews of facilities so you can avoid less-ideal –or less-than-clean- restrooms.
4. OPI (iOS, Android) – Aren’t sure the nail polish you found will look good on you? Thanks to OPI, you can test out swatches of their popular polish colors on your own hand to determine how they’ll look. Never buy blindly again!
5. Nike+ Training Club (iOS, Android) – This female-focused workout app will have what you need to get up and get in shape. With over 100 workouts designed by Nike master trainers for all fitness levels, Nike shows once again that they know fitness better than any other brand.
6. Mint (iOS, Android) – Need a user-friendly way to track your spending each month? The Mint app pulls credit card bills, investments, bank accounts, and monthly expenses into one easy-to-use interface. It also keeps track of due dates, so you never miss a bill payment again.
7. Ruby by Glow (iOS) – Ruby by Glow is more than a menstrual cycle tracker. It also keeps track of sexual activities, symptoms, and general health. It’s the perfect app to allow women control over their sex lives.
8. Audible (iOS, Android) – Is your music playlist no longer cutting it on your commute or while you’re surfing the internet? For a monthly membership fee, you can have access to thousands of audio books via the Audible platform.
9. Venmo (iOS, Android) – While not specifically for women, this app makes sending money back and forth between friends much easier. You can both send to and request money from other Venmo users with minimal fuss. This makes those Sunday brunch bills easier to split between everyone.
10. Starbucks (iOS, Android) – If you’re like a lot of women, you get your morning coffee and muffin fix at your local Starbucks. This app helps you track your rewards points, find a nearby location, shows special offers, and offers mobile payment options.
11. Flipboard (iOS, Android) – Looking for a way to get your news fix without having to wade through a bunch of irrelevant articles? Flipboard is a magazine-based online platform that customizes your news and social media content, tailoring it to show stories that interest you.
12. ShopSavvy (iOS, Android) – Ever go out shopping and find that one thing you’ve been searching for, only to find out it’s sold at another store for less? ShopSavvy tracks sales at your favorite stores, and its barcode feature allows you to scan a barcode to see if the item can be found elsewhere for cheaper.